Hello! Welcome to English Academy with Miss.Nadia
Today, Miss Nadia will introduce you about Topic Slang And Idiom. What is Idiom?
Idiom => Sentences or statement that has particular meaning that differs from individual words. In Bahasa, We usually says “Peribahasa”.
Example of Idioms:
- I have bitten off more than I can chew => Do more difficult things above abillity
- I have Bigger fish to fry => Have more important things to do
- I am sleepy. I must hit the sack => Got to sleep
- The Exam starts tomorrow. Break a leg. => Good luck!
- No pain, no gain => Try hard to get the best result
- I have to wrap my head around something => able to understand something although it is difficult one
- Enough for today. Let’s call it a day => End up a day
- I am on the ball in Ms. Nadia’s class today. => understand and pay attention to
- Don’t give up. Hang in there always! => never give up
- I can’t afford to buy Iphone 12. It makes me break the bank => really costly (expensive)
- Being Adapted is important to avoid “Fish out of the water” feeling. => out of comfort zone
- I saw the accident yesterday and two people were straight from the hourse’s mouth => involved or face a situation or become eyewitness
- Don’t cry as wolf. Everyone won’t believe you. => fictive crying
- We have to take a rain check for our holiday plan during pandemic => postpone a plan
- Wi-fi connection is the best thing since sliced bread => the best finding of things
- If you cheat on your exam, you will bell the cat yourself => danger your self
- Woah! This questions are like pieces of cake => very easy
- We avoid being black sheep. So, do your best as you can do. => disgrace member of family.
- I have blue in my face => pale face
- Please keep trying! You have to go back to the drawing board => recharge the energy
- Once in a Blue Moon => rarely-happened events
- Twist someone’s arm => build belief in others
- Beat around the bush => To avoid talking about important things
- Up in arms => being angry about something
- Comparing apples to oranges=> compare two or more different things
- Give someone the cold shoulder => Ignore someone
- The elephant in the room => big problem
- Throw caution to the wind => taking risk
- Saving for a rainy day => to save money for future and unexpectable form
- Sell like hot cakes => sell things out
- Get a taste of your own medicine => you will receive what you have done to others
- Let the cat out of bag / spill the bean => let everyone know about secret
- A chip off the old block => like father like children
Topic Slang And Idiom
Those are the idioms today. We hope you understand them well and able to use them as daily expression. Let’s call it a day, Dear friends.
Pankrasia Nadia (English Academy)